East Village Association minutes for Aug. 3, 2015, by Michael VanDam
Rep. Mike Quigley joined the EVA meeting to offer an update on the Illinois 5th District. Among the highlights:
- The new district map has expanded substantially: It’s now equivalent to 15 Chicago wards.
- Definitely let him know if you’re coming to D.C. He can help out with White House tours, Capitol tours and other events, and loves to see his constituents.
- He has recently been appointed to the House Select Committee on Intelligence, working on issues of national and international security.
- He continues on the House Appropriations Committee, focusing on issues of transportation and urban development.
- Climate change is a particularly important issue to him and he supports President Obama’s recent emphasis on the issue.
Greg Nagel, Ask Nagel Realty, gave a presentation on appealing property taxes, explaining the process and potential benefits. More information is available on his website at www.asknagel.com.
While the deadline for West Township appeals has passed, owners should still ensure that they are getting the proper tax exemptions. Homeowner, Senior and Long-Term Resident exemptions are often missed.New Business
Steve Niketopolous, chief of staff to Ald. Brian Hopkins, offered an update on progress in the 2nd Ward. The city has allocated significant resources to street resurfacing and will be announcing the streets to be repaved soon.