The Explore and Roar Summer Reading Challenge is on through Aug. 2 at the West Town Branch Library, 1625 W. Chicago Ave. This summer's free events for neighborhood explorers are open to children to age 13.
Complete the challenge:
- Read for 300 minutes: Includes books, magazines, eBooks, audiobooks.
- Discover: Complete a Brain Builder, take a field trip, attend a library program, explore a recommended website.
- Create: A piece of art, write a story or poem, design or build something, complete a Curiosity Kit Challenge.
- Reflect: Visit West Town branch to tell what you learned.
- Enter weekly drawings: Free books!
Children who complete the challenge receive a free canvas bag to color.
The East Village Association has provided funds to buy many of the prizes that will be distributed to participants each week throughout the reading safari, with an estimated 450 children participating.
To plan ahead for the 2014-15 academic year, EVA will be collecting school supplies that participants will receive at the end of the summer challenge.
If you'd like to help EVA support the programming at our local library, here are a few options:
- Forward a donation check payable to East Village Association, P.O. Box 221344, Chicago, IL 60622. In the memo portion, indicate that the donation is to be directed to the Library Programming Fund.
- To donate school supplies to the library, please email Caleb Nolan the Children’s Librarian at email@example.com to arrange a date and time for dropoff. We'll be collecting supplies throughout the summer, so that we can equip as many children as possible for their upcoming school year. School supplies are for grades K thru 8:
- Large & regular size pencils
- Large & regular size crayons
- Glue sticks
- Pocket folders
- Supply box
- Colored pencils
- Spiral notebooks
- Mark your calendars for Sept. 25. EVA will be hosting a fundraiser to assist in providing additional programming funds for our local library. Details to follow: You'll laugh, you'll cry, it'll be better than "Cats," "Avenue Q" or "The Book of Mormon."